Gurudayal Govt. College - Official Website
Principal Professor Md. Khurshed Uddin Thakur
Mr. Md. Fazlul Hoq
It was 1943 and Kishoreganj, a Mahakuma then, was deprived of the satisfaction of having a college. Zillur Rahman, a lawyer and education enthusiast, met Khan Bahadur Abdul Karim, The Education Minister then at a wedding party and expressed his desire to establish a college in Kishoreganj which was welcome by him. To turn it to reality a committee was formed involving Sadat Hossain Chowdhury, The Mahakuma Administrator, Abdul Wadud Chowdhury, Bipin Roy, Shah Abdul Hamid, Profulla Chandra Dhar and other personalities of social repute and members of National Assembly.
Finally the dream came true and on 6th September 1943 the long awaited college started bearing the name `Kishoreganj College’. The college started its activities in the C & B Bungalow situated beside the Jute Research Institute at Rakhuail, Kishoreganj. Dr Dhirendra Lal Das, an eminent scholar, was appointed the first Principal of the college. The initial two years was really a difficult time due to financial crisis. It became almost impossible to continue the academic affairs. To save the college from permanent closures, Gurudayal Sarkar, an illiterate man of Dhanpur, Itna and a moneyed fish merchant as well (Locally known as Kaibartaraj) extended his kind cooperation in the form of unconditional donation of Tk 50,000. With this donation the college purchased land and constructed an academic building. This noble contribution was revered by naming the college after his name. After a couple of years Wasim Uddin, a distinguished scholar and academician, joined as the Principal and lead the college towards the apex of fame.
BA (Pass) Course was opened in 1945 and Science studies followed later upon the advice of scientist Sattyan Basu in 1948. Soon the reputation of bright academic results started spreading all over the country. It is pertinent to relate here that towards the end of 60s the BSc (Pass) examinees under University of Dhaka occupied almost all the merit positions from first up to tenth. In recent years, A+ in HSC Examination and commendable results in Honors and Masters Courses are on the rise.
The college was nationalized on 1 March 1980. Honors and Masters Courses in six disciplines were opened from 1997-98 session. Inclusion of Honors Course on ten more disciplines followed within a few years and Masters Course on four disciplines started from 2008-09 academic session.